Friday, October 28, 2016

What do we stand for? And how do we improve that?

Coaching principles, what makes us us?

 About 5 or 6 years ago I partook in a coaching course in Ireland for my Level II qualification. It focused heavily on principles of play, and really clarifying what it is that makes your team unique. At the time I filled out the worksheets, and was heavily reliant on my mentor to clarify what it is that made my team mine. See the problem there? It wasn't. I was just rehashing his. Now I'm blessed that in Mick McKinnon I had a wonderful mentor whose philosophy was very similar with mine at the time.

But, looking back with 20/20 hindsight, I see now that I really should have spent more time on that document and made it mine.

Since moving into coaching full time, I've been lucky to have plenty of opportunities to think about the sport I love. But also to experience a number of coaching environments, and to sit and have long conversations with other coaches about their sports. This experience has really guided me to a far better understanding of what it means to have true principles as a coach. Both on, and off, the field. 

Living in Virginia, USA over the last number of years people have regularly talked to me about VCU Basketball. The revolution that took place when Shaka Smart was put in place as head coach. How what he did there is incredible. This prompted me to sit up and pay attention. From Youtube, interviews, and being lucky enough to get to watch them play, I've learned a little about what makes Shaka Smart and his time at VCU basketball so special.
Do me a favour, watch this video and jot some notes down.

Done? Great!

 When Shaka Smart arrived at VCU he established a new style of play. VCU basketball was going to "wreak HAVOC" with the opponent's psyche. Thus - HAVOC was born. But what is HAVOC, and what makes it so unique? In it's essence HAVOC is just a full court pressure defense. Trying to play the game as often as possible in the opposition's half. Forcing steals and interceptions off the inbound pass. As such, limiting the number of times the opposition bring the ball into VCU's half, and as such, limiting the amount of time they have the ball in scoring situations.

 Just writing this makes me think of another team that believe in a lot of these things. FC Barcelona, and the teams of Pep Guardiola. A lot of people will know of this man's penchant for ball possession. Believing, as he does, that by controlling the ball you can control the game. Without it, the other team can't win. But what was regularly overlooked at the time of his beginning in coaching, was his attention to detail in what his team's do without the ball. The pressing, and positional play that allowed them to win the ball back. Especially in the opposition's half.

This approach has led to an incredible amount of success for the teams with which he's been associated.

So there you have it. 2 very successful bald men, in very different sports. But what can we learn from them?

Both of these coaches have taken the time to chisel out their coaching principles of play. Both in possession and without. Their teams are a reflection of these principles.

For us as coaches we need to determine what this looks like for us. Whether you coach Field Hockey (like me) or any other sport this is a possibility. Break your sport into whatever your key phases are. How points are scored, what you do at moments of transition, when the ball is dead. How do you want your team to react to these moments in possession, and without? Take the time to write these out. Really think about them. Then you can use these to plan out your training sessions, and truly evaluate how your team plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment